Thursday, June 09, 2005

Welcome! Irasshaimase!

Friends of Historical Accuracy regarding the ethnic Japanese Evacuation of 1942

Welcome to this blog. I am a born and bred West Coaster, having lived all my life in a community that was greatly affected by the 1942 evacuation of ethnic Japanese from the military zones of the United States. Contrary to popular belief in other parts of the United States, as children we knew all about the evacuation, the reasons for the evacuation and what was happening in the ethnic Japanese community prior to the evacuation. Being also university educated in history, I learned early that the role of a good historian is to seek out and document the 100% historical truth to the point of callousness.

I have posted comments at a variety of other blogs, all pro-reparations. Eric Muller's blog is a good example. I found when I was winning the debate (as I usually do) I would wind up banned from these sites and labled a "racist". Well now I'll respond to the posts of folks like Muller here. Beats having my thoughtful comments deleted for one reason or another.

I will say here at the outset that I am very much opposed to how this history has been portrayed since the Commission on Wartime Relocation and Internment of Civilians published its report in the early 1980s. Rather than provide a one-liner as to why I oppose the commission's findings, stick around, read the evidence and decide for yourself.

Although the ethnic Japanese and ethnic Europeans had resolved this history in my community back in the 1950s, a new breed of activist types have jumped on the bandwagon regarding the evacuation. They have determined that apparently there is power in victimization, not to mention money. After all, the reparations movement has become big business, at least $1,000,000 in taxpayer dollars per year is provided to the State of California to "re-educate" the public. Tens of thousands is provided to the State of Washington for the same purpose.

Government approved history based on a flawed commission report being funded with taxpayer dollars to "re-educate" the public? Sounds like Mao's China but it's not. It's the United States. When did America's politicians switch from legislating to re-educating? It's a terrible precedent. Scholars taking money from the "Civil Liberties Public Education Fund" to finance their work is akin to the booze industry financing studies that conclude binge drinking is healthy.

Admittedly, when I knew much less about this history than I do now, it was easy to regurgitate what I had read in the newspapers or heard in the classroom. Only after I had lived a number of years in Japan did I realize I had been fed a series of half-truths. You see, in Japan the attitude is more like "...of course we had ethnic Japanese in overseas colonies who supported us! They're Japanese after all!" There is no shame. I distinctly remember the day my interest in this history was renewed. I was on the Tozai Line reading an article about a Japanese woman at a relocation center who was stealing food from the mess hall and hoarding it under her bed because, "...when the glorious Imperial Japanese Army arrives, the Americans will run away and leave us to starve in this place." Wow! Never heard that story in the states!

My desire to really understand the history of the evacuation is an extension of my desire to understand the growth of Japan from the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate to the rise of the modern nation state. For me, this includes a thorough understanding of the rise of militarism in Japan and the effect of this militaristic and racial thought on Japanese colonies dotted throughout the world. I'm open minded! Are you?

Many subjects regarding this history I know for sure. The latest is this: In my community the half-truths of the Japanese American reparations movement has done more to damage decades old friendships and acquaintances between ethnic Japanese and Europeans than Pearl Harbor ever did. If ethnic Japanese Americans carry any shame, it should be for that.

9 Comments:

At June 25, 2005 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful website. Finally there is another historically accurate place on the Internet. Adults and children alike were being so misled by the Internet saturation of historical revisionism.

 
At July 21, 2005 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quality of this website is incredible.There were hints about it but I only found it today.
Today I found another interesting site:yahoo search "Go For Broke Educational Foundation".Located in L.A. the JA WWII Veterans have sponsored a Monument with the names of 16,310 JA soldiers and their officers who served in WWII. They received $500,000 from the CA State Legislature and are fund raising an equal amount.Emphazing their patriotism.Puget Sound JA's have been lead in the victim direction.To the extent of honoring the draft resisters.A sad turn of events indeed for us all.

 
At December 14, 2008 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across a site called youtube
and typed in japanese american internment. There were many videos
made by students for their school projects. When I posted historical fact that did not agree with their denial, exagerations and overall anti-american message I was call ed a racist. I researched this in the 1980s when the japanese Americans were asking for additional compensation but cannot
remember allot of numbers, dates etc. I am elderly and new to computers. can you give me some sites with actual data.

 
At December 31, 2008 8:33 AM, Blogger Friends of Historical Accuracy said...

This is an excellent book to use as a starting point. It is two-thirds primary historical documents.

http://www.athenapressinc.com/

This is another excellent site:

http://www.internmentarchives.com/

The schools are being funded with taxpayer dollars provided by the 1988 Civil Liberties Bill. THis is the bill that apologized for the the evacuation and paid restitution for violation of civil liberties. It also provided for the re-education of the American people regarding this history. The kids aren't getting the 100% truth and the bill was politically motivated. Hurling accusations of "racism" is a typical and frightening response. I get it all the time. It also lacks substance.

I have quite a bit of information at my fingertips. If you have a specific question, perhaps I can answer it for you. Thanks for writing!

 
At April 28, 2009 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I commented before, and asked for sites with actual data. Inspite of your help I cannot find a source for actual numbers of those relocated or interned. That is,ages,how long they were in the camps, how many actually died and of what cause, how many were interned or just relocated, etc. Those posting in favor of the japanese dismiss or deny even lowman's book. I would hope that somebody with knowledge of computers would post some of keith
Robar's comments on YouTube where the younger generation would find it and get a different viewpoint.

 
At April 28, 2009 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When researching this back in the 1980s I came across some information on former japanese
agents who had been returned to japan after the war applying for pensions from the japanese Government for their work in the U.S. during the war I cannot find it now. Does anybody know where i can find it. I corresponded with Keith Robar about it before his death.

 
At April 28, 2009 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard talk about a book by
Eizo Hori, Records of a intelligence war staff officer at imperial general headquarters.
Bunshun Books 1996 348 pages
in japanese. Do you know anything about it?

 
At May 06, 2009 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Testing to see if posts are getting through.

 
At May 16, 2009 11:13 AM, Blogger Friends of Historical Accuracy said...

Here is a direct link that will provide much of the information you are looking for.

http://www.internmentarchives.com/showdoc.php?docid=00002&search_id=42171

As for the Hori book, it has not been translated into English and doubt a copy can be found outside Japan. You might find one on the internet.

Sorry for the delay. Your posts are getting through. I haven't been checking as often as I should.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home